For Dr Tavakoli, innovation is everything and this has been a driving
force behind his surgical philosophy.
Dr Tavakoli is working in accordance with his patients’ goals and designing custom procedure plans to suit individual needs.
With a background in breast procedures, abdominal procedures and reconstructive work, Dr Tavakoli has experience in multiple techniques enabling him to combine surgical methods.
Since going into private practice in 2004, Dr Tavakoli runs a plastic surgery practice in the heart of Sydney. His boutique practice services patients from all over Australia and abroad. A repeated guest on The Morning Show medical panel, ABC and Sunday Night, Dr Tavakoli frequently shares his knowledge with the media and medical community.
Additionally, Dr Tavakoli is an avid poster on social media. With a combined following of over 600,000 across his social media and a weekly audience reach of over 3 million people globally, Dr Tavakoli utilises social platforms such as to engage and educate future patients.
He has been featured in publications such as The Sydney Morning Herald.
“…educated patients are better patients. Access to authentic and unfiltered information regarding procedures enables patients to make more informed decisions whilst gaining an insight into the procedures and recovery that has otherwise not been accessible.”
– Dr Tavakoli
Achievements & Accolades
- Master of Surgery (MS) and Postgraduate Research Degree in Plastic Surgery from UNSW.
- Postgraduate thesis on Paediatric (children’s) Craniofacial Distraction Osteogenesis used in treating children with facial deformities.
- Fellowship in Plastic Surgery from Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Active member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
- Instructor for the Mentor Master Class.
- Involved in the application of new techniques such as fat grafting in breast augmentation mammoplasty, the Internal Bra.
- Guest Speaker at the 40th Annual ASAPS conference, lecturing on fat grafting in breast surgery and Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)
Surgery Experience & Conferences
Dr Tavakoli believes that knowledge and innovation are the keys. Although he has trained in both reconstructive and plastic surgery, Dr Tavakoli is one of only a handful of Plastic Surgeons in Australia with a practice solely committed to Surgery. As a result, the majority of Dr Tavakoli’s practice is dedicated to breast surgery and abdominal procedures.
In addition to his 10 years of Australian plastic surgery training in Sydney and Melbourne, Dr Tavakoli has also travelled to some of the major European and American Plastic Surgery Centres ensuring he is up to date with the latest surgical techniques and practices.
- 2004 – Rome, Italy with Professor Marco Gasparotti at Villa Salaria: LIPOSCULPTURE (superficial)
- 2004 – Barcelona, Spain – Planas Clinica
- 2004 – London, England – Face Lift
- 2005 – Dallas, Texas – RHINOPLASTY
- 2006 – Sao Paulo, Brazil – Periareolar mastopexy
- 2007 – Stuttgart, Germany – RHINOPLASTY
- 2008 – Melbourne – Breast Augmentation (mammoplasty) Symposium
- 2009 – Dallas, Texas – RHINOPLASTY
- 2010 – Singapore – Dr Charles Randquist, Breast Master Class
- 2011 – Melbourne – Rhinoplasty Symposium
- 2011 – Sydney – Dr Per Heden Breast Augmentation (mammoplasty) Symposium
- 2012 – Melbourne – Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) Symposium and Workshop
- 2012 – Stuttgart, Germany – Rhinoplasty Workshop
- 2012 – Melbourne – Upper Eyelid Surgery (blepharoplasty) Workshop
- 2012 – Melbourne – Facelift Anatomy & Techniques
- 2013 – Stockholm, Sweden – Breast & Weight Loss surgery
- 2014 – Melbourne – Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) & Buttock Fat Grafting
- 2015 – Stuttgart, Germany – Rhinoplasty Workshop
- 2015 – Milan, Italy – Rhinoplasty Masterclass
- 2015 – NYC, USA – Cutting Edge Symposium
- 2016 – Miami, USA – Brazilian Butt Lift (bilateral buttock augmentation)
- 2017 – Stockholm, Sweden – Beauty Through Science
- 2017 – Melbourne – 40th Annual ASAPS Conference (Guest Speaker)
Continuing Medical Education
Dr Tavakoli is committed to providing a consistently high level of care in his practice and therefore regularly attends and participates in the CME & CPD programs established by the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (RACS).
Pro Bono Work
Dr Tavakoli does perform Plastic and Reconstructive surgery free of charge on patients born with congenital disfigurement or victims of trauma who have genuine financial constraints. Please note that this generous work does not extend to patients wanting free surgery. All pro bono work is treated with utmost confidentiality.
As a father, Dr Tavakoli is dedicated to the needy causes of Children in Australia and around the World. Proud contributions are made to the Sydney Children’s Hospital Silver Party, Westmead Children’s Hospital Spastic Disorders Unit, Australian Cancer Research Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Interplast, Save The Children Relief Fund, World Vision and UNICEF.
Snell, Broughton J.,Tavakoli, Kourosh. Necrotizing Fasciitis Caused by Apophysomyces elegans Complicating Soft-Tissue and Pelvic Injuries in a Tsunami Survivor from Thailand.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 119(1):448-449, January 2007.
TAVAKOLI K, Y YU, S SHAHIDI, F BONAR , MD POOLE . EXPRESSION OF GROWTH FACTORS IN DISTRACTION ZONE OF THE MANDIBLE: A sheep study.
British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1999, 52: 434-439
TAVAKOLI K, S RUTKOWSKI , C COPE, M HASSALL, M RICHARDS, R BARNETT, J VANDERVORD. RECURRENCE RATES OF ISCHIAL SORES IN PARA- AND TETRAPLEGICS TREATED WITH HAMSTRING FLAPS: An eight year study.
British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1999, 52: 476-479.
TAVAKOLI K, W WALSH, F BONAR, R SMART, S WULF, MD POOLE , THE ROLE OF LATENCY IN MANDIBULAR OSTEODISTRACTION.
Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery. 1998; 26: 209-19.
TAVAKOLI K, K STEWART, MD POOLE. DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS IN CRANIOFACIAL SURGERY: A REVIEW.
Annals of Plastic Surgery, 1998; 40 (1): 88-99.
TAVAKOLI K, G. CROXSON, M. McGEE-COLLETT. PRIMARY TUMOURS OF THE FACIAL Nerve
Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, 1997; 2(6): 547-53.
TAVAKOLI K, D THOMSON. BACTERIAL ENDOCARDITIS AS AN UNUSUAL PRESENTATION OF LEFT ATRIAL MYXOMA: A CASE REPORT.
Asia Pacific Heart Journal, 1996; 5(2): 120-1.
HODGKINSON DJ, TAVAKOLI K: THE USE OF MIMETIC MUSCULATURE IN FACIAL RECONSTRUCTION..
Australian Journal Of Dermatology- 1995
TAVAKOLI K, W WALSH, MD POOLE. MANDIBULAR DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS.
Australian and NZ Journal of Surgery, 1998; MAY.
BEHAN FC, TAVAKOLI K. A NEW INSTRUMENT- THE SSG SCALPEL BLADE FOR BREAST REDUCTION.
Australian and NZ Journal of Surgery, 2000; MAY.
TAVAKOLI K, KOHUT M, YEE G: ELECTRICAL and RADIATION BURNS- CHAPTER IN OXFORD TEXTBOOK OF TRAUMA, 2003.
2001- YEAR BOOK OF PLASTIC, RECONSTRUCTIVE and AESTHETIC SURGERY EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: STEPHEN H. MILLER, MD, MPH
NOVEMBER 1995: HEAD and NECK ONCOLOGY: AN UPDATE TEMPORAL BONE/ FACIAL NERVE ANATOMY and DISSECTION COURSE
St.Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney,
NOVEMBER 1997: MICROVASCULAR ANASTOMOSIS WORKSHOP
Bernard O’Brien’s Institute of Microsurgery, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
JUNE 2002: MATHYS-SYNTHES AO MAXILLOFACIAL PLATING COURSE
Airport Sheraton, Sydney, Australia
NOVEMBER 2002: ASPS CONFERENCE, SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA
- Primary Rhinoplasty- Dr Bahman Guyuron
- Modern Refinements In Facelift- Dr James Stuzin
AUGUST 2003: IPRAS CONFERENCE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Secondary Rhinoplasty- Dr Bahman Guyuron
- Facial Tips- Dr Robert Flowers
- Breast Reconstruction- Dr Patrick Maxwell
- Forehead Plasty- Dr David Knize
- Ptosis Repair- Dr Richard Seigel
- Migraine And Anti Wrinkle Injections – Dr Bahman Guyuron
MARCH 2004: AESTHETC SURGERY WORKSHOP- 2004, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- Secondary Rhinoplasty- Dr Egle Muti
- Mastopexy- Dr Egle Muti
- Medial Pedicle Breast Reduction- Dr Elizabeth Hall-Findlay
MARCH 2005: 22nd Dallas rhinoplasty Symposium
- Dallas Rhinoplasty Dissection Course- Dr Jack Gunter, Dr Bahman Guyuron
NOVEMBER 1998: CRANIOFACIAL DISTRACTION : THE NEXT DECADE, INSTITUTE OF RECONSTRUCTIVE PLASTIC SURGERY
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, NEW YORK CITY, USA.
CONVENOR: JOSEPH MCCARTHY.
OCTOBER 2002: PERIORBITAL PLASTIC SURGERY SYMPOSIA
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA
CONVENOR: GLEN JELKS
NOVEMBER 2002: AMERICAN PLASTIC SURGERY ASSOCIATION
ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA
AUGUST 2003: THE 13TH INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF PLASTIC, RECONSTRUCTIVE and AESTHETIC SURGERY (IPRAS)
MARCH 2005: THE 22ND INTERNATIONAL RHINOPLASTY SYMPOSIUM
DALLAS, TEXAS, USA
JUNE 2006: ISAPS Postgraduate Instructional Course- Venice, Italy
AUGUST 2006: ISAPS 18th World Congress- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
FEBRUARY 2007: 12TH Advanced Aesthetic Surgery Workshop, Melbourne, Australia
JUNE 2007: 15th Stuttgart International Course for Functional and Aesthetic Rhinoplasty, Germany
JUNE 2007: The 14th International Congress of the International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic
SEPTEMBER 1998: WINNER OF THE JOHNSON and JOHNSON
SPECIAL MEDICAL PRIZE FOR THE BEST PRESENTATION.
NSW REGISTRAR’S PAPER DAY; ROYAL AUSTRALASIAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS, SYDNEY
MARCH 2001: WINNER OF THE NATIONAL JUNIOR PLASTIC SURGERY REGISTRAR EXAM
NATIONAL PLASTIC SURGERY CONFERENCE- BRISBANE
APRIL 2002: WINNER OF THE MCGHAN BREAST PROSTHESIS (DEVICE TECHNOLOGIES) AWARD
NATIONAL PLASTIC SURGERY CONFERENCE- PERTH
MAY 2002: FINALIST IN NSW DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE AWARD- BAXTER:
ESTABLISHMENT OF COMBINED SPINAL-PLASTICS OUTPATIENT CLINIC (SPOC) AT ROYAL NORTH SHORE HOSPITAL, NORTHERN AREA HEALTH SERVICE.