For Dr Tavakoli, innovation is everything and this has been a driving
force behind his surgical philosophy.
His exclusive practice in Double Bay attracts patients who expect the highest of standards and Dr Tavakoli prides himself on meeting his patients’ goals in a safe and consistent manner.
Known for his exceptional breast results, body transforming mummy makeovers and wasit-buttock rehsaping, Dr Tavakoli is well experienced in multiple techniques enabling him to combine methods to give his patients the best possible outcome. In an era of ‘one hit wonders’ Dr Tavakoli’s patients are able to benefit from his diverse skill set and eye for detail.
Since going into private practice in 2004, Dr Tavakoli runs one of the busiest plastic surgery practices in the country. His boutique practice, colloquially referred to as the ‘Chanel of Plastic Surgery’ services patients from all over Australia and abroad. A frequent guest on The Morning Show medical panel, ABC and Sunday Night, Dr Tavakoli’s opinion and expertise are sought after by the media and medical community.
Always an innovator, Dr Tavakoli is the Industry leader in social media. With a combined following of over 600,000 across his social media and a weekly audience reach of over 3 million people globally, Dr Tavakoli utilises social platforms such as Instagram and Snapchat to engage and educate future patients.
He has been featured in publications such as The Sydney Morning Herald for “changing the face of surgery in Australia”.
“…educated patients are better patients. Access to authentic and unfiltered information regarding procedures enables patients to make more informed decisions whilst gaining an insight into the procedures and recovery that has otherwise not been accessible.”
– Dr Tavakoli
Dr Tavakoli has also amassed a niche following of medical students, doctors and fellow surgeons on his snapchat who enjoy observing and learning from one of the leaders in plastic surgery.
Achievements & Accolades
- Master of Surgery (MS) and Postgraduate Research Degree in Plastic Surgery from UNSW.
- Postgraduate thesis on Paediatric (children’s) Craniofacial Distraction Osteogenesis used in treating children with facial deformities.
- Fellowship in Plastic Surgery from Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
- Active member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and Australian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).
- Instructor for the Mentor Master Class.
- At the forefront of new techniques such as fat grafting in breast augmentation, the Internal Bra and the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) (a procedure Dr Tavakoli pioneered in Australia).
- Guest Speaker at the 40th Annual ASAPS conference, lecturing on fat grafting in breast surgery and Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL)
Surgery Experience & Conferences
In this field experience, expertise and innovation are the key to success. Dr Tavakoli believes that the future of Plastic Surgery is
“super-specialisation” in either Surgery or Reconstructive Surgery. Although he has trained in both reconstructive and plastic
surgery, Dr Tavakoli is one of only a handful of Plastic Surgeons in Australia with a practice solely committed to Surgery. As a result, the
majority of Dr Tavakoli’s practice is dedicated to breast surgery, Mummy Makeovers and Rhinoplasty.
In addition to his 10 years of Australian plastic surgery training in Sydney and Melbourne, Dr Tavakoli has also travelled to some of the major
European and American Plastic Surgery Centres ensuring he is up to date with the latest surgical techniques and practices.
- 2004 – Rome, Italy with Professor Marco Gasparotti at Villa Salaria:
- 2004 – Barcelona, Spain – Planas Clinica
- 2004 – London, England – Face Lift
- 2005 – Dallas, Texas – RHINOPLASTY
- 2006 – Sao Paulo, Brazil – Periareolar mastopexy
- 2007 – Stuttgart, Germany – RHINOPLASTY
- 2008 – Melbourne – Breast Augmentation Symposium
- 2009 – Dallas, Texas – RHINOPLASTY
- 2010 – Singapore – Dr Charles Randquist, Breast Master Class
- 2011 – Melbourne – Rhinoplasty Symposium
- 2011 – Sydney – Dr Per Heden Breast Augmentation Symposium
- 2012 – Melbourne – Eyelid surgery Symposium and Workshop
- 2012 – Stuttgart, Germany – Rhinoplasty Workshop
- 2012 – Melbourne – Upper Eyelid Surgery Workshop
- 2012 – Melbourne – Facelift Anatomy & Techniques
- 2013 – Stockholm, Sweden – Breast & Weight Loss surgery
- 2014 – Melbourne – Abdominoplasty & Buttock Fat Grafting
- 2015 – Stuttgart, Germany – Rhinoplasty Workshop
- 2015 – Milan, Italy – Rhinoplasty Masterclass
- 2015 – NYC, USA – Cutting Edge Symposium
- 2016 – Miami, USA – Brazilian Butt Lift
- 2017 – Stockholm, Sweden – Beauty Through Science
- 2017 – Melbourne – 40th Annual ASAPS Conference (Guest Speaker)
Continuing Medical Education
Dr Tavakoli is committed to providing a consistently high level of expertise in his practice and therefore regularly attends and participates in the CME & CPD programs established by the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (RACS).
Pro Bono Work
Dr Tavakoli does perform Plastic and Reconstructive surgery free of charge on patients born with congenital disfigurement or victims of trauma who have genuine financial constraints. Please note that this generous work does not extend to patients wanting free surgery. All pro bono work is treated with utmost confidentiality.
As a father, Dr Tavakoli is dedicated to the needy causes of Children in Australia and around the World. Proud contributions are made to the Sydney Children’s Hospital Silver Party, Westmead Children’s Hospital Spastic Disorders Unit, Australian Cancer Research Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Interplast, Save The Children Relief Fund, World Vision and UNICEF.
Snell, Broughton J.,Tavakoli, Kourosh. Necrotizing Fasciitis Caused by Apophysomyces elegans Complicating Soft-Tissue and Pelvic Injuries in a Tsunami Survivor from Thailand.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 119(1):448-449, January 2007.
TAVAKOLI K, Y YU, S SHAHIDI, F BONAR , MD POOLE . EXPRESSION OF GROWTH FACTORS IN DISTRACTION ZONE OF THE MANDIBLE: A sheep study.
British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1999, 52: 434-439
TAVAKOLI K, S RUTKOWSKI , C COPE, M HASSALL, M RICHARDS, R BARNETT, J VANDERVORD. RECURRENCE RATES OF ISCHIAL SORES IN PARA- AND TETRAPLEGICS TREATED WITH HAMSTRING FLAPS: An eight year study.
British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 1999, 52: 476-479.
TAVAKOLI K, W WALSH, F BONAR, R SMART, S WULF, MD POOLE , THE ROLE OF LATENCY IN MANDIBULAR OSTEODISTRACTION.
Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery. 1998; 26: 209-19.
TAVAKOLI K, K STEWART, MD POOLE. DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS IN CRANIOFACIAL SURGERY: A REVIEW.
Annals of Plastic Surgery, 1998; 40 (1): 88-99.
TAVAKOLI K, G. CROXSON, M. McGEE-COLLETT. PRIMARY TUMOURS OF THE FACIAL Nerve
Australian Journal of Otolaryngology, 1997; 2(6): 547-53.
TAVAKOLI K, D THOMSON. BACTERIAL ENDOCARDITIS AS AN UNUSUAL PRESENTATION OF LEFT ATRIAL MYXOMA: A CASE REPORT.
Asia Pacific Heart Journal, 1996; 5(2): 120-1.
HODGKINSON DJ, TAVAKOLI K: THE USE OF MIMETIC MUSCULATURE IN FACIAL RECONSTRUCTION..
Australian Journal Of Dermatology- 1995
TAVAKOLI K, W WALSH, MD POOLE. MANDIBULAR DISTRACTION OSTEOGENESIS.
Australian and NZ Journal of Surgery, 1998; MAY.
BEHAN FC, TAVAKOLI K. A NEW INSTRUMENT- THE SSG SCALPEL BLADE FOR BREAST REDUCTION.
Australian and NZ Journal of Surgery, 2000; MAY.
TAVAKOLI K, KOHUT M, YEE G: ELECTRICAL and RADIATION BURNS- CHAPTER IN OXFORD TEXTBOOK OF TRAUMA, 2003.
2001- YEAR BOOK OF PLASTIC, RECONSTRUCTIVE and AESTHETIC SURGERY EDITOR-IN-CHIEF: STEPHEN H. MILLER, MD, MPH
NOVEMBER 1995: HEAD and NECK ONCOLOGY: AN UPDATE TEMPORAL BONE/ FACIAL NERVE ANATOMY and DISSECTION COURSE
St.Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney,
NOVEMBER 1997: MICROVASCULAR ANASTOMOSIS WORKSHOP
Bernard O’Brien’s Institute of Microsurgery, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne
JUNE 2002: MATHYS-SYNTHES AO MAXILLOFACIAL PLATING COURSE
Airport Sheraton, Sydney, Australia
NOVEMBER 2002: ASPS CONFERENCE, SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA
- Primary Rhinoplasty- Dr Bahman Guyuron
- Modern Refinements In Facelift- Dr James Stuzin
AUGUST 2003: IPRAS CONFERENCE, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
- Secondary Rhinoplasty- Dr Bahman Guyuron
- Facial Tips- Dr Robert Flowers
- Breast Reconstruction- Dr Patrick Maxwell
- Forehead Plasty- Dr David Knize
- Ptosis Repair- Dr Richard Seigel
- Migraine And Anti Wrinkle Injections – Dr Bahman Guyuron
MARCH 2004: AESTHETC SURGERY WORKSHOP- 2004, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
- Secondary Rhinoplasty- Dr Egle Muti
- Mastopexy- Dr Egle Muti
- Medial Pedicle Breast Reduction- Dr Elizabeth Hall-Findlay
MARCH 2005: 22nd Dallas rhinoplasty Symposium
- Dallas Rhinoplasty Dissection Course- Dr Jack Gunter, Dr Bahman Guyuron
NOVEMBER 1998: CRANIOFACIAL DISTRACTION : THE NEXT DECADE, INSTITUTE OF RECONSTRUCTIVE PLASTIC SURGERY
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, NEW YORK CITY, USA.
CONVENOR: JOSEPH MCCARTHY.
OCTOBER 2002: PERIORBITAL PLASTIC SURGERY SYMPOSIA
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA
CONVENOR: GLEN JELKS
NOVEMBER 2002: AMERICAN PLASTIC SURGERY ASSOCIATION
ANNUAL SCIENTIFIC MEETING
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA
AUGUST 2003: THE 13TH INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF PLASTIC, RECONSTRUCTIVE and AESTHETIC SURGERY (IPRAS)
MARCH 2005: THE 22ND INTERNATIONAL RHINOPLASTY SYMPOSIUM
DALLAS, TEXAS, USA
JUNE 2006: ISAPS Postgraduate Instructional Course- Venice, Italy
AUGUST 2006: ISAPS 18th World Congress- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
FEBRUARY 2007: 12TH Advanced Aesthetic Surgery Workshop, Melbourne, Australia
JUNE 2007: 15th Stuttgart International Course for Functional and Aesthetic Rhinoplasty, Germany
JUNE 2007: The 14th International Congress of the International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic
SEPTEMBER 1998: WINNER OF THE JOHNSON and JOHNSON
SPECIAL MEDICAL PRIZE FOR THE BEST PRESENTATION.
NSW REGISTRAR’S PAPER DAY; ROYAL AUSTRALASIAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS, SYDNEY
MARCH 2001: WINNER OF THE NATIONAL JUNIOR PLASTIC SURGERY REGISTRAR EXAM
NATIONAL PLASTIC SURGERY CONFERENCE- BRISBANE
APRIL 2002: WINNER OF THE MCGHAN BREAST PROSTHESIS (DEVICE TECHNOLOGIES) AWARD
NATIONAL PLASTIC SURGERY CONFERENCE- PERTH
MAY 2002: FINALIST IN NSW DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH STANDARD OF EXCELLENCE AWARD- BAXTER:
ESTABLISHMENT OF COMBINED SPINAL-PLASTICS OUTPATIENT CLINIC (SPOC) AT ROYAL NORTH SHORE HOSPITAL, NORTHERN AREA HEALTH SERVICE.